If you don’t know how to add software sources to your Raspberry Pi, here’s an introductory step-by-step guide.

1. Ensure your software is completely up to date:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
  2. Ensure GPG is initialised:
    gpg --list-keys

If this succeeds it might produce no output, or a message like this:

gpg: directory `/home/pi/.gnupg' created
    gpg: new configuration file `/home/pi/.gnupg/gpg.conf' created
    gpg: WARNING: options in `/home/pi/.gnupg/gpg.conf' are not yet active during this run
    gpg: keyring `/home/pi/.gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
    gpg: /home/pi/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created

Both of those are fine. If there is a problem it will print an error message.

3. Download our public key so that Raspbian’s package manager can verify that the software you downloaded was really built by us.
    curl -L  https://q2wi.re/swkey | sudo apt-key add -
  4. Add the address of our package repository to your system’s package manager, so it can download our software and check for updates.
    1. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list with the following command:
      sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
    2. Add the following lines to the bottom of the file:
      # Quick2Wire Software
      deb http://dist.quick2wire.com/raspbian wheezy main
      deb-src http://dist.quick2wire.com/raspbian wheezy main
    3. Save the file by typing Control-O and exit the editor by typing Control-X.
  5. Update the package manager’s list of available software packages:
    sudo apt-get update

You can now install Quick2Wire software packages. For example to install the quick2wire-gpio-admin package:

sudo apt-get install quick2wire-gpio-admin

12 Comments

1. I have loaded Quick2wire as per How to Add Quick2Wire as a Raspbian

Software Source all went well although I think the key authentication

failed but I accepted it. I then added the requirements of Physical Python

– Part 1. i2cdetect worked fine. I added myself to i2c and gpio groups.
    Downloaded from github quick2wire-python-api.

When I run an example from IDLE3 it fails with this error message:
    >>>

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/home/pi/quick2wire-python-api/examples/i2c-example.py”, line 3, in

from quick2wire.i2c import I2CMaster, writing_bytes, reading

ImportError: No module named quick2wire.i2c

>>>
    What have I done wrong?
    Raspberry Pi,Linux and Python are very new to me.

Roger

2. Roger – I usually see this message when my PYTHONPATH is not set correctly. Make sure that you’ve pulled the latest code and followed the instructions in the Quick2Wire Python API README file (1).

(1) https://github.com/quick2wire/quick2wire-python-api#installation

• Thanks Brian.
      On one of my other attempts at getting this working I tried this. After your reply I searched around the web and found that if I put the path into a script that also ran Startx it would work but what Ive opted for is to include the path info in the python file:
      import sys
      # appends to PYTHONPATH the location of the example codes
      sys.path.append(r’/home/pi/git/quick2wire-python-api/’)

Is there a better way?
      Like the web site very clear and crisp.
      Thanks
      R

3. I successfully followed all the steps above, and none of them gave any errors, but when I go to install quick2wire-gpio-admin it says:
    WARNINIG: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
    quick2wire-gpio-admin
    Install these packages without verification [y/N]?

I’m personally not bothered by the warning, but It looks like you might need to ‘fix’ something? Or did I do something wrong?

4. “You can now install Quick2Wire software packages”

Might be worth mentioning which software packages are available from your repository, and what they do…? :)

5. Thanks Rodger. I had the same issue. I originally followed the Installing the Think Bowl I2C Libraries for Python tutorial,and got the error “No module named quick2wire.i2c”

Based on your comment above, I added the following lines to the start of my python code and it resolved things:

import sys
    # appends to PYTHONPATH the location of the example codes
    sys.path.append(“/home/pi/myproject/quick2wire-python-api/”)

6. The address http://dist.quick2wire.com/raspbian gives 404 for now. plesae, it is a temporary problem or packages are no more provided?

7. I see you have the debian package redirection corrected however, upon performing a “sudo apt-get update” I am now receiving the following error:
    W: GPG error: http://dist.quick2wire.com wheezy Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 86E2228998187DFA Quick2Wire Ltd. . I think that after the change in ownership of Quick2Wire that your digital signature for verification of the software distribution source will need to be updated also.